Q?What is bankruptcy?

Bankruptcy is a uniform, federal court-supervised procedure to relieve individuals and businesses from debts, while protecting and preserving the rights of secured creditors and providing unsecured creditors with equal treatment of their claims.

There are four types of bankruptcy that individuals may select, depending on their particular financial circumstances. Most individuals file under Chapter 7 of the Bankruptcy Code (the Code), sometimes known as “straight” or “liquidation” bankruptcy. Chapter 11 is available to individuals, but generally is used by corporations to reorganize their business affairs.

Chapter 12 is designed for use by farmers. Chapter 13, also referred to as a “wage-earner” or “debt-adjustment” plan, is available to individuals and unincorporated businesses that intend to use future income to pay some or all of one’s debts according to a plan designed by the individual (within certain statutory limitations) to meet his or her needs.

© State Bar of Wisconsin

Q?How do I know if I am eligible to do my own Pro Se Divorce?

First, you or your spouse must be a Wisconsin resident. This means you or your spouse has lived in Wisconsin for at least six (6) months, and has lived in one county for at least thirty (30) days.

If you or your spouse are a Wisconsin resident, when you consult with NPS we will then help you to determine if you have what is sometimes known as a “mutual consent” divorce. A “mutual consent” divorce requires agreement on:

  • Property Division
  • Payment of Debts
  • Custody and Placement of Minor Children
  • Child Support
  • Maintenance or Alimony

If you and your spouse are in agreement on these matters, or think you will be able to agree, there is a good chance that you are a good candidate for our services and we encourage you to contact us.

If you and your spouse are not in agreement on these matters, or you do not think you will be able to reach a fair and legal agreement on one or all of these matters, then you have a contested divorce and you may need to seek representation by attorneys. We can help you with that, too. We will have you talk with an attorney who can help you to determine if you can do your divorce pro se, or if you need an attorney. Do not hesitate to contact us.

Q?Do I have to be a Wisconsin resident to use your services?

Yes. All states within the United States have different legal systems, and all nations of the world have different legal systems. Currently Ryczek Law Pro Se Divorce provides services only to residents of the State of Wisconsin, USA. If you have questions about whether you or your spouse may meet the residency requirements to file for divorce in Wisconsin, do not hesitate to contact us.

Q?What is “Pro Se”?

Pro Se simply means self-representation in court. Many pro se litigants find that it is very helpful– if not essential– to have a pro se service guide them through the process. If you choose to use our services, you will have access to Attorney Jennifer L. Ryczek to guide you throughout the process of obtaining your divorce. Although you will not have an attorney representing you in court– that’s not what pro se means– we will be here to help you. In addition to providing you with all of the paperwork you will need to file in court and complete step-by-step written instructions, we will be available throughout the process to answer your questions.

Q?Is it Legal to do my Divorce Without a Lawyer?

Yes. Generally speaking, anyone can represent himself/herself in court without a lawyer. It is not always appropriate, though. At Ryczek Law we are very careful to screen our applicants to try to make sure that you are an appropriate candidate to do your divorce without a lawyer. Although many people are very successful using our services to obtain their divorce– or we wouldn’t be here– some people need to be represented by an attorney.  Ryczek Law can point you to excellent family law attorneys in your area.

Q?How do I Get Started with my Pro Se divorce?

If you have questions or want to make an appointment Call us right now for your FREE telephone consultation! (414) 651-3693 or use our contact form.